Sunday, April 5, 2009

Favorite Time of Year

There are so many reasons I love this time of year but one of my favorites is General Conference. I love General Conference. I love listening to all the inspiring messages. I love the music. I love the memories of it being on every television and radio in my house growing up. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing it. I love that I finally understand why my mom would look forward to conference weekend so much.

I must admit another reason I love conference is the hours of time that I can sit down and work on some project like cross-stitching, quilting, or my latest favorite--punchneedle embroidery. I started my current project last April conference. Yup. That's about the only time I do it. It's the perfect time to do it! I can sit and listen yet accomplish something at the same time.

One of the by-products of doing this however is an increased interest from my children. They want to make something too. I think it's wonderful. I love their creative minds. Consequently my project gets set aside so I can thread needles, tie knots, cut and sew fabric, separate floss strands, and transfer images. This has happened for years but for some reason there seemed to be an abundance of that this weekend. The progress of my project? I almost finished threading the punchneedle. Seriously. Eight hours of conference collectively and I almost finished threading the punchneedle.

I really can't complain. I love the the ideas they had. Miles embroidered a smiley face with the words "I am a Child of God" underneath it. He turned it into a pillow which he ended up giving to Emily since she liked the fabric so much (what a sweet brother). Emily's new Webkinz now has a shiny red cape. And Lucy's artwork is becoming another embroidered pillow. I think she lasted one stitch but she's so excited to give it to her Grandma that it has now become my job to complete.

With all of these extra projects, I don't think I have ever become so frustrated as I did this year. Why? Yes, my plans were changed. I didn't get to work on my project and it will continue to gather dust until October. I didn't get to listen to all of conference due to the hum of my sewing machine, running to another room to get something, talking one (or two) of my children into waiting until I finished helping the other one, or reminding them that their present, able, and willing father--even if he is afraid of thread--is just two feet away. But I can't think of a better "project" during conference than to have my whole family sit together through almost all of every session.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Is punch needle embroidery what you brought to Enrichment? I loved it.

And please tell me you haven't always been able to sit through eight hours of Conference with your kids--uninterrupted or not. I don't know what age my kids will have to be at to get to that point--we don't even make it through one session! Sad, but true.

Heather said...

No, with punchneedle embroidery every stitch is like a big loop of floss so the finished piece looks...well..like a carpet kind of. You can't see any of the fabric, just the floss. It's very repetitive and relaxing.
As far as conference goes, I just take what I can get.

Fisher Family said...

Your kids are so creative and so productive. Wonder where they get it from. It's hard to fit in "our projects" now a days. I can relate. Would love to see a picture of your punchneedle embroidery.

Cathy said...

I absolutely love General Conference, too. It's one of the very best things in our church! I always plan on crafts and cooking, or cleaning as well. It just can't happen as much with the little ones around. It is frustrating! Oh well.