Sunday Emily and Lucy were making cookies and we ran out of flour. Never fear, I have wheat! So I got out the grinder and had plenty of flour to finish the cookies. As we were getting the kids in bed, I decided to grind more for later. I filled it up, turned it on, and went upstairs. Twenty minutes later I went down to see if it was about done. As I turned the corner on the stairs I knew there was a problem. The air was filled with a cloud of flour.
I couldn't get to the grinder fast enough...as if turning it off three seconds earlier would make any difference. I stood there in awe looking at the damage. You couldn't see the color of the counters. Of course my first priority was to make it possible to walk around the kitchen without a film of flour on my feet. Yuck! Boo decided the pile I was sweeping was worth investigating. Then she decided it was worth laying on. Great. Now the cat is covered in flour too.
Matt and I spent the next hour and a half cleaning the counters, sink, stove, and floor. The tops of the cabinets and refrigerator along with the rest of the house would have to wait. Monday morning we found a layer of flour on our computer desk. Upstairs! Floor to ceiling cleaning. There was even flour on the insides of the cabinets in the kitchen. All the food in the pantry still needs to be wiped down. Matt and I both spent hours yesterday wiping down chairs, washing curtains, cleaning the blinds, vacuuming. We had to wipe down the kitchen counters again after a night's worth of flour settling. If you are allergic to wheat, you may not want to come over for a while. This is going to take forever. I wonder if the homeowners insurance has a clause for flour damage. That's how I'm finally going to get a new couch!
The problem? The bowl catching the flour needed to be moved in another quarter of an inch. There's a sacrament meeting talk in there somewhere.
7 comments:
What a great story, Heather! I hope you can laugh about it. =) If I'm in a baking mood, I know where to go for extra gluten.
Oh Heather, that is horrible. What a mess. We are having the same problem but from having our shower ripped out. (for some reason I didn't care for the water dripping through the floor to the crawl space.) Miss you guys. Hope all is going well.
Heather that is crazy. I thought our food storage was supossed to bless our lives! I think what you really need right now is a vacation to Hawaii and the Merry Maids!
Oh my! Lesson learned.:)
If it's any consolation, I'm sure it was still cleaner than SOME people's houses... if you know what I mean...
Wow! That is terrible so I don't know why I'm laughing...upstairs even!! Geeezzz! I hope you can get a new couch out of it! :)
That mess sounds like when John refinished our hard wood floors and there was sawdust throughout the entire house. What a pain to clean up! Do keep that story in mind though. I'm sure you can find a use for it in a talk someday.
Post a Comment