Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lucy means "Light"

Her name fits her perfectly. 

I've never known a child to be so excited for someone else's birthday.  Earlier in the month Lucy was counting down the days until my birthday.  Every morning she would ask how many more days.  She made things days ahead and had them wrapped and hidden.  On my birthday she came into my room, crawled in bed next to me, and whispered in my ear, "Happy birthday Mom!"  This was repeated a few times.  Suddenly she said with remorse, "Mom, we have to cancel my playdate today."  I asked her why. "Because it's your birthday and I want to be with you."  It took quite a bit of convincing to assure her I'd be fine if she went to her friend's house.
 
My birthday was just a few days after Easter.  The Easter candy was mostly gone.  Lucy scavenged her basket and surprised me with this...
I love her.

On Matt's birthday this week, Lucy and I will be out of town.  She's been asking for at least a week if we could celebrate it early so we won't miss it.  The celebration has been getting earlier and earlier with the increased pleading.  We decided to do it in two parts.  Some today and some tomorrow.  Two weeks ago Lucy came up with this great idea of something we could do for Dad.  She told him that tomorrow he shouldn't look in the driveway.  We are going to do something special for him but it's a birthday surprise.  Betcha can't guess.  Are you stumped?  Yes, we'll be washing his car.  Great idea Lucy. 

In celebration of Matt's birthday Miles made cookies and Emily made banana bread.  I was in the middle of making a pie for someone else when Lucy asked if we could make a cake.  Seriously?  For a man who's trying to lose weight?  I suggested maybe we ask Dad what he wants us to make him.  Maybe a salad?  She ran up to ask.  The way she worded it with Matt did not convey her celebratory intentions and Matt declined.  She came downstairs, sat on a stool, and said, "He doesn't want a cake or a salad....and I'm running out of ideas."  This is the moment when she could not contain her emotions anymore.  This is also after several attempts to get everyone on board with her birthday ideas but to no avail.  She was trying so hard to make the day perfect for her dad and nothing was turning out like she had planned.  It breaks my heart even thinking about it.

We all had a good talk and Lucy proceeded to come up with new plans like a "Hawaiian drink" which was basically water with a squeeze of clementine and an umbrella and straw, and a great story that she spent forever on entitled "Prinsess vrs Robr" (princess verses robber.)  It's a great story.  The first sentence sold me.  "Once a pon a time thar was a grl brafe in dyd."  (girl brave indeed.)  Here is a list of some of my favorite spellings.

gorddin.......garden
kasl.......castle
graood......ground
far and scwar.......fair and square
dajin.......dungeon
byodafl.......beautiful
kpaoo........the noise the princess made with her right hook

How could anyone not like growing older with a girl like this?  We love you Lucy.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the lightening cloud over the robber's head. Your chidlren are so wonderful. I miss you guys. On the next really nice warm weekend I think we need to have everyone over. I miss you all so much.

sixlayerdip said...

Well, Jenny means donkey, female donkey to be exact. Sure wish I knew that before I named her!!! :) I Love Lucy!