Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Personal Trainers

Thanks to my marathoning friends, over the past month I've developed a love...well, an enjoyment for running. I really look forward to the next time I run! I never thought I'd say that. Even when I was in track in 9th grade I hated it. I could never figure out why anyone would choose to run.

A month ago I couldn't run more than a block without stopping. Seriously. I'm embarrassed to say that but it's true. Yesterday I ran 2 1/2 miles. That's the longest stretch I've run without stopping in probably 15 years. Don't get me wrong. I love to speed walk. I'm not totally sedentary...all of the time.

My favorite thing yesterday was that Emily and Lucy wanted to go with me. We lapped our house a few times until they were done. My stride was about three inches but that's not that different than what it is without my girls.

Luckily I have Lucy to help me become my best.

Lucy: "Mom, do you know what you have to do to run fast? You put your thumbs inside your fingers and kick your legs really high."

Thanks Lucy.

5 comments:

Blaire Ostler said...

good for you! i'm not much a a runner myself so maybe i'll try lucy's method:)

Jennifer said...

Wow...I can't believe is such a short time you are already running 2 1/2 miles. That's awesome. Runners always have great bods you know. Soon you'll be super model thin!!1

Kellie said...

Way to go! That is awesome! I am not into running either, but my goal is to learn. So after this baby is born I may be hitting you up for some tips.

Cathy said...

Good job, that is awesome! Funny thing is that I have joined a beginner running group and I can also say that I NEVER would have said that I looked forward to my morning run, but I do! I have been known as an avid "I hate running" person. But, my day just goes better when I go out with them!

Fisher Family said...

that is awesome Heather! of course when you live in a ward with such great runners it was bound to rub off. I'm still one of those would rather run and have something to play w. like a ball *soccer. I too have added running in the mix. Just so humid down here have to get up @ the crack of dawn while it still a little cool