Monday, June 1, 2009

My Boy is Growing Up

Today Miles left for 6th grade camp. This has been surprisingly hard for me. I know he'll be fine but it's been hard for me to let go. He asked me yesterday if I went to 6th grade camp. Um, no. The first school related overnighter was when I was 17 and went to Washington, D.C. (That was also my first time on an airplane.) Now my boy is off for 5 days in the hands of his teachers.

As I was driving him to school this morning he said, "Mom, you have to promise that you won't cry and that you won't embarrass me." Well, I'm smart enough to make no such promises but I thought I'd be fine. As soon as we got his luggage loaded up in the truck he hugged me and took off at full speed to head into the school. I just stood there paralyzed. I watched him until I couldn't see him anymore.

After dropping Lucy off at preschool I drove past the school at the very same time the four buses were leaving. I wished I knew which one Miles was on. I almost came to a complete stop just watching them drive away. I couldn't believe how much I had to fight away the tears. I talked out loud to him even though he couldn't hear me, wishing him luck and hoping he was placed with good friends in his cabin group.

What's all this? This is not like me....okay, maybe it is. How in the world will I ever be able to send him on a mission? I'm going to be a basket case.

Miles--I love you. I miss you already.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

This just shows more of what I already knew--that you are an amazing mom with a lot of love for your kiddos. How sweet!

Now dry your cryin' eyes and do something you couldn't do if Miles were home. =) (I'm thinking a Mother/Daughters spa night at home, dejunking his closet or drawers, etc . . .)

Anonymous said...

I found your note very touching...
until I became a parent I would have had a ligher view of such things. But I will confess despite all my years in dealing with other kids When I had my own in YMCA camp on visit to Texas a few years back.I gave my cell number to every camp counselor and then sat staring at my cell phone for a week in a hotel a few minutes from camp. I am sure Miles will make you proud!

Blaire Ostler said...

that's so sweet. you're a cool mom you let your kid go to 6th grade camp! my parents wouldn't let me go and i was the only one in the whole scool who didn't go! i'm not bitter at all though...

anyway, hope miles had a great time:)

Cathy said...

Seriously, watching the buses drive away would have killed me. You are a stong and loving mother!!