Friday, December 12, 2008

We Mourn the Loss of...

Apparently the last couple of times Lucy has gone to preschool she has ended up crying. When her teachers have asked her what is wrong she says, "My new mom died." I'm sure you are wondering just as they were what is behind this story.

Since last spring Lucy has frequently talked about her "new mom". By frequent, I mean several times a week. Her new mom sometimes lives in rainbowland (where rainbow cats walk on two legs and talk...and can make rain stop). Last time we were in Portland she got so excited at the sight of a tall hotel and yelled, "Hey, that's my new mom's house!" If anyone ever asks Lucy where she learned something, it is always from her new mom. Her new mom has 200 Lucys, one Emily, and one son named My. (Evidently there is a new dad but we've only heard of him twice.) And of course she drives a bus so she can take all those kids places.

We all just go along with it. It's very real to her. It has always made me laugh...well, except for the time when she asked for her new mom in the ER while getting an IV. Apparently I wasn't doing a very good job protecting her. I think that time I cried but otherwise it's all been quite entertaining to see what her little imagination has cooked up.

On the way out to the car while trying to keep my composure, I asked Lucy how her new mom died. It's very unfortunate. She was hit by an ice cream truck and forgot that she was allergic to ice cream.

10 comments:

Crazy Herb Girl said...

I have a friend that says they broke the mold after they made her daughter. I think the same can be said for little Lucy. We all got a good laugh...umm, sorry for your loss :-D

Donnell Allan said...

What a treasure that Lucy is!

I'll miss having you as my visiting teacher. I'm glad we are forever friends.

Laura Ayers said...

I can't wait to see what Lucy grows up to be! She's so adorable :) What an imagination! Have you ever read "If you could see me now" by Cecelia Ahern? You should definetely read it- it's about a boy with an imaginary friend & it's one of the cutest books I've ever read. I guess they're making it into a Disney movie soon. Love ya-

Putz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

It is so sad and funny at the same time. I wonder what Lucy's "new Mom" did that made Lucy off her. Funny that the crushing blow of the ice cream truck isn't what did her in but the allergy to such a yummy dessert! You'll have to keep us posted about wetheror not the "new mom" is part of Lucy's immaginary world anymore. We watched a movie once about a guy with an immaginary girlfried. The doc said that eventually he would overcome his need for her and find a way to put her behind him. She drowned in a lake. Lucy was much more humane. If I remember the name of the movie I'll email you!

Cathy said...

I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss! I can understand how imaginary friends can be real, Emma had some for a long time. They haven't been around recently, but she never spoke of their death. I bet Lucy won't want to eat ice cream for a while. Sweet little Lucy, please tell her that we say "hi!" Maybe Christmas will brighten her spirits!

Amanda said...

This is one of the funniest things I read all week. Thanks for sharing.

Poor Lucy, what are all 202 children going to do without a mother this holiday season? Maybe Sub for Santa? Oprah? You let me know what I can do, Ok.

Erin said...

Lucy is a riot! What a fun girl. You've got to keep her around for entertainment purposes.

Fisher Family said...

Our condolences for Lucy's new Mom. Heather..I love Lucy!! She is so much fun. Thanks for making me smile today. Your post was great. Now you'll always remember her that's it's written down.

sixlayerdip said...

Is it bad to say that I laughed for like 5 minutes after reading this? Sweet Lucy!!! Thanks for the laugh though!