Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sweet Emily, Family Series Part 3

I love our Emily. She is an angel. I have never met someone so kind, so guileless. She loves everyone and would do anything to make sure they know that. She's so innocent and tender.

Last week after Emily's girl scout troop sang at a retirement community, I was out front talking with her girl scout leader. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Emily helping a woman with a walker get from her car to the front door. Emily is one of those souls that naturally brings love and joy to the needy and down-trodden.

I love Emily's faith. A few years ago we lost our cat Zoe. She rarely goes outside and one day she disappeared. We looked everywhere and after six days I had decided she was gone. Emily wanted to pray for her safe return and she knew Zoe would come back. I was crushed that her prayer wouldn't be answered the way she thought it would. I was taught a lesson. We found Zoe in the woods just 100 yards from our house that very night.

I love Emily's courage. She's not one to need the limelight but she's not afraid to be in front of a crowd. Better said, she may be afraid but she does it anyway. I have seen this courage countless times in so many different situations.

I love her simplicity. This year Miles drew a really cool wish list for Santa and had each of the girls fill one out. Some of the things Emily wrote on her list display her personality perfectly--"family fun nights, a caroling book, to go out caroling, my own picture of Jesus." And the really cool thing is that I know she means it.

When she was in kindergarten she participated in the Reflections contest. The theme that year was "A Different Kind of Hero." I asked her who her hero is. Without hesitation she said, "A tree". After a little prodding she continued, "because it protects you from the hot sun." See what I mean by simple? Finding gratitude in simple things is something she does naturally.

Just after she was baptized, Matt and I took her on a trip to Hawaii. It will forever feel like the trip that ended too soon. To have that kind of time with her was priceless. She has such a quiet optimism about her. She's so easy to have around.

Emily, I love you. I love the kind of daughter you are. I love the kind of sister you are. I love who you are becoming. With your sweet and tender heart I wish I could keep you under my wing forever. I know that's not possible but as hard times come I know you'll turn to the one true source of happiness. That's just the kind of person you are. I'm so grateful to be your mom.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Heather--thank you for this post. It's nice to be reminded of the goodness in all children, and especially in your Emily. You are a great mom.

mom said...

I love Emily's sweetness. Thanks for a thoughtful post. It makes me think of all the reasons I love Brienna.

Crazy Herb Girl said...

I miss her and You! She is exactly as you have described her! She has such a sweet feeling about her. I'll be sure to show Abby this post :-)

Anonymous said...

So true...she is the sweetest girl ever! sometime i think she has to be messin' with me because no one is that nice, but she is!:)

April said...

So sweet, I keep seeing all of these wonderful posts mother's have for their children and I need to follow. What an angel child. You are blessed!

Jennifer said...

Your children really are fantastic. I still remember when we met walking in the woods and she ran back to give Dave a picture she had drawn of her view of the sound. Very thoughtful.

The Seaquist Family said...

What happened to your little girl? How long have I been gone? SHe is all grown up. So beautiful. Oh my, I see YW right around the corner. Aren't you a lucky Mom.

sixlayerdip said...

Heather, that is the sweetest post ever! Emily really is as sweet as ever. I'm so glad she and Jenny are such good friends! She is such a good influence on everyone she meets!