Thursday, March 4, 2010

Darn Tear Ducts


I just had one of my hardest days ever. We made the tough (and still second-guessed) decision of putting our cat Zoe down. I hated every minute of it. I miss her terribly already.


This decision was loaded with components. First of all, we found out a few weeks ago that Lucy is allergic to cats. We decided we would wait until the appt with the allergist before getting rid of them but we were preparing ourselves for the worst. I worried SO much about finding a home for Zoe. I kept thinking, who would want an overweight cat that bites? Then the thought of the trauma she'd go through adjusting to a new home made it even harder.


Last Friday she started getting sick. Okay, gross but every pet owner knows you have to clean up some messes sometimes. By Tuesday she was still having problems so I took her in to see what was wrong. Nearly $200 later we had no answers. I brought her home rather than accruing more costs and we made the decision.

Of course then all the symptoms went away. Yesterday she was so relaxed and happy. She kept licking my hand. When I got up this morning my plan was to cancel the appt but after she turned away tuna and seemed to be in pain we decided it was time to just do it. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.


I took her in this morning. I was able to hold her and talk with her until she was gone. It took about a half hour but it still seemed too short.

She's been a member of our family for eight years. Every Family Home Evening, every scripture time, every family meeting she came. She always came. She may not have wanted anyone to touch her but she came. We have this song we sing, Tell Me the Stories of Jesus to let the kids know it's time to gather. Zoe would always come when she heard that song. I'm going to miss that.



We love you Zoe. Thanks for being a part of our family.

11 comments:

Crazy Herb Girl said...

Sweet Heather, Your post made me cry....and I don't even like cats :-)

May she rest in peace.

Hugs, Jenny

Tricia said...

I am so sorry. What a heartbreaking decision. We had a cat like Zoe growing up--for 17 years! I was in college when he died. We still talk about him (nearly 15 years later). He'll always be part of our family.

Unknown said...

Heather I'm so sorry! It's so hard to lose a very loved pet.

Laura Ayers said...

Awww!That's so sad- we totally love our kitties too. 3 out of 4 of our kids are allergic & so am I, but we have been treated. We get an Low Dose Antigen shot twice a year & have had accupuncture (kids do accupressure-no needles). It sounds crazy, but is the most effective treatment for allergies! Just thought I'd mention it, in case you guys get the impossible to turn down "PLEEEEZ" look next time your kids find a stray!

April said...

Ok, I'm not a pet lover, but that was the sweetest tribute ever. The whole 8 years of FHE thing, yep, tears. I'm sorry that you had to make that decision. I hope Lucy does well enough to keep Boo around:( So sorry.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for you guys loss. I know what an important part of the family an animal can be that has been with you a while...as you know we came terribly close to the same outcome with our kitty last year...

Cathy said...

Heather, I am so sorry. Although my dog drives me nuts, I can't imagine that day when he's no longer around. Your post really tugged on my heart strings. I know you will all miss her.

Jennifer said...

Heather no pet could hope for a better home than yours. She led a happy life. What are you going to do with Boo? I was talking to Rachel the other day and she was thinking she might ask to adopt him / her. Sometimes the sacrifices you have to make for your children are just so hard. Hopefully there is a spot in Heaven just for our beloved pets!

mom said...

I'm so sorry about Zoe. I know how hard it is to love a beloved pet.

The Seaquist Family said...

So sorry Heather. I must say that is a HUGE reason why we don't have pets. I couldn't stand to do what you did. I am so attached.

sixlayerdip said...

Oh, so sad! Sorry your family had to lose her. Good thing you have lots of good memories of her. (Even though she doesn't want to be touched :)