Friday, September 4, 2009

First Day of School

So I feel terrible for not taking pictures yesterday as Miles and Emily headed off to school. Miles rode his bike to school for the first time. I still had to go by the school to make sure that his bike was there and that he'd made it safely. I walked with Emily to the bus stop and couldn't stop asking questions. Gee whiz! Was it my first day of school too? It sure felt like it. I asked every question I could think of. I couldn't stop thinking about them all day. I'm sure Lucy had her fill of my "I wonder..." thoughts.

Today was Lucy's first day of kindergarten. I'm not sure which one of us was more excited. My excitement wasn't about what I get to do with my time as I had expected. It was more about what Lucy must be feeling. Of course picking an outfit was a big deal for Lucy. A girl's got to look good on the first day, right?
BTW, the scarf was the selling point on this shirt for her. I tried to talk her into another outfit at the store but her mind was set.

Lucy wanted so badly to ride the bus so I told her I'd meet her at the school. The bag of school supplies was way heavy so I had to, right? Well, after she got off the bus she seemed wiped out! She wanted me to hold her. The flower she had picked for her teacher on the way to the bus stop was wilted. So maybe the 25 minute bus ride (it shouldn't have been that long) was too much for a girl that's used up all her energy just getting ready. As she stood in line to go into school holding her supplies she noticed the flower was missing. She'd been holding it for a half hour and just as she's about to walk in the door, it's gone. She seemed so spent, she just followed the crowd anyway.

So here I am with the much anticipated free time and all I can do is count the minutes until she comes home. I hope she has fun.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, she looks so cute! What is it about scarfs? Emma had to have one when we were picking out he back to school clothes, too. I know how you feel with counting the minutes untils she's home again. Hopefully we'll get used to it soon and begin enjoying it a little bit!

Andrea M said...

Lucy looks excited, scared, nervous, and grown up all at the same time. You will love and hate the quiet time that she is gone. Love it because you can call it your own---hate it because she is no longer all yours. Sharing is hard for us Momma's too, ya know. Every time one of my kids starts the big Kindergarten, I cry my eyes out, but only where they cannot see me. I always make sure that my eyes are done being puffy before they come home again. After that important first day, I always make them take a nap with me when they get home just so I can feel them snuggling next to me and so I can get their scent in my head again. I know that probably seems a bit overboard, but that is how I feel. Congratulations on surviving the first day of Kindergarten. You too Lucy !

Tricia said...

Lucy's flower reminds me of "Zu-Zu's petals" [name that film.] So sweet. And she looks all grown up with that scarf! =)

I get heartsick with my kids gone all day. I'm so glad we've never had all day kindergarten. That half day with them at home is so important-- for ME!