Monday, November 30, 2009

Who Knew?

Thanksgiving morning just after finishing a bowl of Lucky Charms I developed a bitter taste in my mouth. It stuck around for about 15 minutes. Ever since then every time I eat or drink anything, the bitter taste comes back. It's nasty! I've even refrained from taking a bite of something because I knew it would be followed by that taste. Okay, I haven't refrained that much but still, it's made me think twice. My other response is just to keep eating to disguise the taste. I favor that method.

So today I googled it. Five days of this nasty taste is quite enough. Come to find out, it's a common phenomenon after eating...do you want to guess? Pine nuts. Not all pine nuts. Just a few varieties of them. It takes one to three days to develop this strange side effect and it doesn't happen to everyone. It can last anywhere from five days to two weeks. Yikes! I have this linguine recipe that I love. I made it last Tuesday and snagged a handful of pine nuts while doing so. My recipe calls for 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts. I always buy them at Safeway but I decided to get them at Costco last time to save a little money. Well that back fired. Anyone want four cups of pine nuts?

3 comments:

Tricia said...

How odd. I was reading this thinking that that funny taste sounds so familiar- like it happened to me a few months back. I wonder if it was pine nuts for me?! I rarely eat them, but I did make a pasta salad with them a few months back. Hmmm..... My first guess was that you're pregnant! =)

Sarah said...

I'll take the pine nuts if you promise it will give me that same bitter taste. I could use a little something to make me not want to eat. Anything, really.

Blaire Ostler said...

i buy those costco pine nuts all the time for salads, and i've never had that problem. weird?